Visiting Artist Program
Conditions of the residency
- The one-month residency must be completed during the period of April 1st, 2021 to November 30, 2021
- Two prints from each edition printed during the residency must be provided to St. Michael’s Printshop.
- One of these prints will be retained in the Printshop’s Archives, the other is used for fundraising purposes.
- During the residency, the artist will be asked to give a workshop for the membership of the Printshop.
Criteria used by juries
The Printshop Programming Committee is instructed to look for emerging as well as experienced artists. The jury has three large considerations when reviewing applications: artistic merit, feasibility, and assessing the benefit of the residency to the artist as well as the benefit to the St. John’s/NL community. While basic technical help is available from staff, artists must show competency in their chosen medium to be considered. Workshop proposals are important, but should not be too elaborate or take more than two evenings or one day from the residency.
While residencies in other arts facilities often ask the artist to demonstrate a geographic-based justification for their residencies, proposals for residencies at St. Michael’s Printshop do not need to be linked to Newfoundland, Labrador or St. John’s. We are more interested in that the artists have a clear plan that they can accomplish in one month.
- $1,000 Residency Fee for artists who reside in St. John’s, NL and surrounding area
- $1,500 Residency Fee for artists who reside outside St. John’s, NL and surrounding area
- 24-hour access to all facilities at the Printshop
St. Michael’s provides basic chemicals and solvents, newsprint, rags and black and white inks only. We do not provide coloured inks or personal consumables (sandpaper etc.). Please contact us for a full inventory of what is provided. A basic selection of papers, wiping fabrics and litho drawing materials are available for purchase at the printshop.
*International artists should note that materials may be considerably more expensive here, so it is recommended that materials be brought with you. These may include paper, and coloured printing inks. Because of our isolated location, ordering materials may take up to several weeks.*
Complete applications must be submitted by 11:59 on August 31, 2020.
Each year St. Michael’s Printshop invites applications from international, national and provincial artists who wish to come and work at the Printshop for a one-month period. A total of six residencies are offered during the year (April 2021 – November 2021).
In order to be considered for the Visiting Artist program, interested artists must submit the following:
The following support materials are part of the online application form, we recommend compiling and editing this information in a word processor and then copying and pasting into the form fields when you are ready to submit everything.
- Artist Bio (150 words max)
- Summary (75 words max) – please provide a clear and concise overview of your project
- A detailed project proposal (250 words max) that includes the following:
- A project description explaining what you plan to make and the creative direction or goals you have for the project
- Print medium(s) and materials you intend to work with
- Significance to your creative practice/career – how this project will support your development as an artist
- How you propose to engage with the SMP and NL arts communities
- Artist Statement (250 words max)
- 1-2 workshop proposals (250 words max)
- preferably beginner-friendly workshops
- Artist’s CV (3 pages max) – an updated resume that confirms a professional arts practice. Please include contact information: email, phone number, address, province of residence
- Image list (include title, medium, size, year made)
- 12 Support images maximum
- Image Submission Requirements:
- Up to 12 support images maximum, each file formatted at 72dpi, 1mb each, jpeg format
- please label your files numerically to correspond with your image list and use the following format: 00_Lastname_Title_year
- For video support materials include a separate PDF with a video link
- Clips can be no longer than 5 minutes max
- specify the start/end times for the clip you’d like watched
- Video links will count as one of your support images
Completed application submitted via the official SMP Visiting Artist Program Google Form found here.
The deadline to apply is by 11:59 pm on August 31, 2020
All submissions will be juried by the SMP programming committee and notifications will be sent out within 8 weeks of the deadline.
All applicants will be notified of the outcome.
Recent Visiting Artists
Sarah Gordon, Ireland
Raluca Iancu, Quebec
Karen Cornelius, Manitoba
Jennifer Morgan, Newfoundland
Christine Koch, Newfoundland
Nathalie Vanderveken, Quebec
Philippa Jones, Newfoundland
Sylvia Bendzsa, Newfoundland
Tara Bryan, Newfoundland
Margo Ray, Hawaii USA
Wendy Tokaryk, Alberta
Marie Andree Gilbert, Quebec
Scott Goudie, Newfoundland
Jonathan Green, Newfoundland
Jesse Brennan, England
Daryl Vocat, Ontario
Abigail Rorer, Maine USA
Rodney Konapaki/Rhonda Neufeld, British Columbia
Shane Dwyer, Newfoundland
Jacques Arseneault, New Brunswick
Laura Peturson, Ontario
Jack Botsford, Newfoundland
Veselina Tomova, Newfoundland
Nicky Neate, UK
Michelle Bush, Newfoundland
Corrine Coleman, Newfoundland
Jerry Ropson, Quebec
Gemma Anderson- UK
Colin Lyons, Quebec
Osvaldo Ramirez Castillo, Quebec