Board of Directors
St. Michael’s Printshop (SMP) board members to serve a two or three year volunteer term (renewable) who bring dedication, energy, and experience to the organization. We seek folks with a broad range of knowledge and skills, including accounting, fundraising and development, human resources, communications and marketing, and who have a strong interest in printmaking practices. We especially welcome applications from artists at all stages of their careers, writers, curators, cultural workers and those with previous board experience. We love to have more representation from the wider community not involved in the arts sector who have an interest in supporting the arts. Knowing about printmaking is not necessary to join our board, rather an excitement for print and arts in general as well as a willingness to learn about all things print, art and community!
SMP values diversity and inclusivity in our communities. We highly encourage applications from visible minority group members, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons of minority sexual orientations and gender identities and others with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities.
The Board of Directors is comprised of a Chair, Vice Chair, Treasurer, Secretary, Committee Chairs, and Members-at-Large.
Interested in joining our board? Click here!
Board Roles and Responsibilities
General Requirements to be a Board Member
- An interest in printmaking, visual art, and commitment to the work of the organization.
- Willingness to serve on committees.
- Attendance at monthly board meetings and committee meetings.
- Support of, and participation in, SMP activities (fundraising, programming activities, etc.).
- Ability to contribute specific skills and attributes in one or more areas of board governance.
General Duties of all Board Members:
Board directors are fully informed on organizational matters and participate in the board’s deliberations and decisions in the matters of policy, finance, programs, personnel and advocacy, including:
- Approve, where appropriate, policy and other recommendations received from the board, its standing committees and staff.
- Monitor all board policies.
- Review the bylaws recommend bylaw changes as appropriate.
- Review the board’s structure, approve changes, and prepare necessary bylaw amendments.
- Participate in the development of SMP’s organizational plan and annual review.
- Approve the annual budget.
- Approve hiring and release of staff and develop appropriate job descriptions and contracts for staff.
- Assist in developing and maintaining positive relations among the board, committees, staff members and the community to enhance SMP’s ability to achieve its goals.
- Be a public voice and advocate for SMP.
- Lead all board meetings
- See that all orders and resolutions of the board of directors are carried into effect
- Meet regularly with executive director to ensure business affairs are running smoothly
- In the absence of the Chair, perform the duties of the Chair
- This role can also lead to eventually taking over the Chair role when the Chair resigns
- Help SMP staff with keeping full and accurate accounts of all assets, liabilities, receipts and disbursements of the Printshop.
- Meet with the executive director on a monthly basis to ensure financials are in order .
- Gain a full understanding of SMP’s finances and give financial reports at board meetings and provide a statement of the financial position of SMP at Annual General Meetings or Special General Meetings.
- Attend all meetings of the Board of Directors and act as clerk thereof and record all votes and minutes of all proceedings in the books to be kept for that purpose.
- Give or cause to be given notices of all meetings of the Board of Directors.
- Be custodian of the seal of the Printshop, should the Printshop adopt one, which seal shall be delivered only as authorized by the resolution of the Board of Directors and only to such person or persons as may be named in the resolution; and..
- Perform other such duties as may from time to time be directed by the Board of Directors.
- The Member at Large is an active member of the printshop who joins the board to help govern SMP.
- They will usually chair at least one committee.
Fundraising Committee Chair:
- Work closely with the board, ED and committee to raise funds for SMP.
- Organize, lead, and participate in fundraising committee meetings.
- Outreach to members of the community and developing relationships with past, and possible future, donors.
- Read more about the Fundraising Committee here
Programming Committee Chair:
- Organize, lead, and participate in programming committee meetings.
- Work closely with the board, ED, and the committee to manage programming for the Visiting Artist Program and the Don Wright Scholarship.
- Liaisons with visiting artists
- Read more about the Programming Committee here
Studio Committee Chair:
- Organize, lead, and participate in studio committee meetings.
- Work closely with the board, ED, and the committee to make decisions about updates and changes to the print studio
- Read more about the Studio Committee here
Human Resources Committee Chair:
- Organize, lead, and participate in Human Resources committee meetings.
- Work closely with the board, ED, and the committee to make decisions about updates and changes to the Human Resources processes or help if Human Resource issues arise.
- Read more about the Human Resources Committee here