This summer St Michael’s Printshop is looking to hire a student or young person to migrate our website to a new wordpress theme or another platform and design the new site. St. Michael’s Printshop is seeking a motivated, dynamic, individual with experience in web design, wordpress, and some coding knowledge. Please see the PDF for more info! or reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Posts in the category
Dear St. Michael’s Printshop Community and Members,
Following the provincial government’s COVID brief SMP will be postponing any in person workshops and events until further notice, to be in accordance with health recommendations:
“Effective immediately, a special measures order is being implemented in the St. John’s metro area for two weeks.
- Group and team sports and recreation activities where children and/or adults gather in-person and where close contact is required are suspended. This does not include individual activities such as walking tracks, gyms or private lessons.
- Group arts and cultural activities that involve in-person gatherings are suspended. This includes bands, choirs, dance and music classes. Solo performances and individual lessons are still permitted.”
SMP will continue to be available to key holding members. If you are a key holder and plan to use the shop you will have to complete the Covid 19 assessment form linked here, and follow the Covid 19 Health and Safety Protocols available here and posted in the shop. If you are a member who is currently renting without keys the shop will be available by appointment. Please get in touch about your plans to work in the shop.
We will be available via email and social media to respond to any questions our members may have. Those wishing to take advantage of our free membership are encouraged to email SMP with the subject ‘complimentary membership’ (the end date for sign up will still be April 4th as this will be done online). Complimentary memberships are valid until the end of 2020.
As this situation is constantly developing we will be sure to keep our members and community informed of changes as we move forward. Please sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date. You can do so on our website here. Please reach out to email@example.com if you have any questions.
Xo Christeen, and Team SMP
SMP is excited to announce the second of our screenprint workshop series: One Color Print on Fabric, taught by member and co-founder of the Screenprint Pilot Project, Mimi Stockland. It will take place over three weeks on Tuesday evenings from 6pm-9pm on Nov 3rd, 10th, 16th. This will be an intro workshop that focuses on the basics of screenprinting on fabric. Participants will come away with a knowledge of coating and exposing screens, preparing a file for printing, printing and cleanup, as well as a one color print on fabric. This series will be taught in person but is limited to 4 participants to ensure everyone can safely distance while also participating fully. To register fill out the google form linked here, and we will follow up to confirm your participation and arrange payment. SMP will provide ink, screens, and test fabric. However, participants should bring any special fabric they would like to print on. Register here
SMP is currently reviewing our fee schedule and we would like your input! We are looking to hear feedback from past and present members on our current rental fees and to get a general idea on when and how members use the space. You can also respond if you are not a member but are interested in renting in the future! Based on your responses we will be building a new fee schedule that will be presented at our AGM in November.
Survey Link: https://forms.gle/b7WdcPtbVqn7rwqD7
We thank you for your input!
UPDATE: Registration is now full, but don’t worry, there will be more events like this one!
We are having an in-studio event!
St Michael’s is starting to get up and running again, finally! We had such a great time at Print in the Park that we are doing it again. We are super excited to be a part of Eastern Edge Gallery’s HOLD FAST Contemporary Art Festival 24hr art marathon. We will be set up with the mobile press on the main floor at 72 Harbour Drive, and will print for the afternoon of October 3rd, (times may change). We will have the blocks we carved for the last event, in case you missed it, but we are also inviting you to come carve a block the week before at our first Open Studios since the shutdown. To ensure everyone’s safety this event will be limited to 7 participants. If you’re interested please fill out the google form linked here and we will be in touch with the details. The open studio will take place Thursday September 24th from 6-9pm.
Google registration form:
Complete applications must be submitted by 11:59 on September 15, 2020.
Each year St. Michael’s Printshop invites applications from international, national and provincial artists who wish to come and work at the Printshop for a one-month period. A total of six residencies are offered during the year (April 2021 – November 2021).
In order to be considered for the Visiting Artist program, interested artists must submit the following:
The following support materials are part of the online application form, we recommend compiling and editing this information in a word processor and then copying and pasting into the form fields when you are ready to submit everything.
- Artist Bio (150 words max)
- Summary (75 words max) – please provide a clear and concise overview of your project
- A detailed project proposal (250 words max) that includes the following:
- A project description explaining what you plan to make and the creative direction or goals you have for the project
- Print medium(s) and materials you intend to work with
- Significance to your creative practice/career – how this project will support your development as an artist
- How you propose to engage with the SMP and NL arts communities
- Artist Statement (250 words max)
- 1-2 workshop proposals (250 words max)
- preferably beginner-friendly workshops
- Artist’s CV (3 pages max) – an updated resume that confirms a professional arts practice. Please include contact information: email, phone number, address, province of residence
- Image list (include title, medium, size, year made)
- 12 Support images maximum
- Image Submission Requirements:
- Up to 12 support images maximum, each file formatted at 72dpi, 1mb each, jpeg format
- please label your files numerically to correspond with your image list and use the following format: 00_Lastname_Title_year
- For video support materials include a separate PDF with a video link
- Clips can be no longer than 5 minutes max
- specify the start/end times for the clip you’d like watched
- Video links will count as one of your support images
Completed application submitted via the official SMP Visiting Artist Program Google Form found here.
The deadline to apply is by 11:59 pm on September 15, 2020
All submissions will be juried by the SMP programming committee and notifications will be sent out within 8 weeks of the deadline.
All applicants will be notified of the outcome.
St. Michael’s Printshop is hosting a live printing event in Harbourside Park
Date: August 29th, 2020
Location: Harbourside Park (across from the War Memorial)
Free, beginner friendly, learn about printmaking, make a print, socialize
Print in the Park will be a pop-up, live printing, physical distanced extravaganza! St. Michael’s Printshop is going mobile: we are bringing our moveable printing press to Harbourside Park, along with printmaking supplies and a selection of stunning prints to display. We will have five printmaking stations set up so participants can walk through while safely maintaining physical distancing as they learn about the magic of printmaking and even make their own lino-block print composition. Come see printmaking in action and support artist-run culture!
COVID-19 Protocols: Everyone is required to wear a mask at this event (unless certain health conditions prevent you from wearing one). Masks will be provided at the entrance of the event if you don’t have a mask already. Upon entering the event, visitors will be asked three self-health evaluation questions and be requested to sanitize their hands at the sanitization booth. Instructions from staff/volunteers as well as markings at the event will help visitors navigate the event safely, keeping 2m apart from others.
- By admin
- With No Comments
- On 13 Aug | '2020
We recent installed a selection of prints from our sales collection at The Battery Cafe! All of these artworks are for sale. Drop by, grab a coffee and have a look! Support local A special thanks to the cafe!
St. Michael’s Printshop and Eastern Edge Gallery are partnering to offer an Artist-Run Art Fair
Date: August 23rd, 2020
Location: The parking lots surrounding Eastern Edge Gallery and St. Michael’s Printshop
Entrance: All participants and visitors must enter through the parking lot that is on Clift’s Baird’s Cove Road (which intersects Water St. and Harbour Drive).
Come to our Artist-Run Art fair: meet some seriously talented artists, buy something for yourself or a friend, support local, and support artist-run culture! The Artist-Run Art Fair is a chance for artists to display and sell their own work in a safe (physically distanced) environment. SMP and EE will be selling their own wares and merch as well as Art=Work t-shirts and hats for the Mary McDonald Foundation .
COVID-19 Protocols: Everyone is required to wear a mask at this event (unless certain health conditions prevent you from wearing one). Masks will be provided at the entrance of the event if you don’t have a mask already. Upon entering the event, visitors will be asked three self-health evaluation questions and be requested to sanitize their hands at the sanitization booth. Instructions from staff/volunteers as well as markings on the ground will help visitors navigate the event safely, keeping 2m apart from others.
Guidelines for participating artists:
- Artists are in charge of how they set up their table. One table per artist (or collective/collaboration). Tables are approximately 2.5′ x 6′. There will be a chair provided as well and both the table and chair will be freshly disinfected on the morning of the event.
- There is no cost for a table.
- Artists will handle their own sales. We suggest you have a float/cash box, and some sort of digital means of conducting sales (ie. Square, PayPal, e-transfer, etc.)
- Be mindful this is an outdoor event, (ie. bring masking tape should you need to tack artworks to the table if it’s windy).
- Masks are mandatory (unless health conditions prevent you from wearing one), if you do not have a mask we can provide you one. There will be hand sanitizer at the event, but feel free to also bring your own to have at your table.
The event will be postponed if there is rain.